I haven't been getting much done on my airplane projects for the past couple months because I've been busy rebuilding my wife's roto-tiller. It's a nice heavy duty 8 HP machine built about 1978. She got it for free and I've been promising for a couple years to rebuild it. Between the rust and dried grease nothing moved except the engine which turned over with rather weak compression. The wheels were rusted onto the shafts and had to be cut off and welded back together in order to get the transmission apart. Other than the tines, tires, hardware, a couple chains and the gas tank which all had to be replace, the rest of the parts just needed cleaning and painting. A little Marvel Mystery Oil got the rings loose, and with a rebuild on the carburetor the engine runs great.
The good news is the tiller works great. I still need to print a couple vinyl labels I couldn't save and make a cover for the pulleys. The bad news is I spent $900. Fortunately You can't buy a new one this nice for that price and it was a lot of fun.
Time to plant the garden or we won't have any peas this year.
Postings to this are being entered as we do things or have time to write about things we've learned. You'll see the latest entry at the top of the page. If you're new to this blog you might want to go back and read from the start. There is also a subject index to help you find postings on specific subject areas. Last things, click on a picture to enlarge it, click the Play > on videos to watch them (they may take a few minutes to load on a slow connection).